By Rena McInerney ’16
DIY Festive Flames!
Vases or Candle holders
Hot glue gun (or any adhesive of your choice)
I bought all the items listed above from Jo-Ann’s, but they can also be found at any craft store. You may use any vase or candle holder around the house—with a little creativity you can even transform a small bowl or cup into my DIY Festive Flame!
Now let’s start building our DIY project!
1. Start off by cutting your twigs about the length of your vase (you may make the twigs longer than the candle holder. It depends on you personal liking). Just be careful about making the twigs too tall. If the twigs are significantly taller than the candle holder the candle might burn the twigs.
2. Using your hot glue gun, apply a strip of glue to the vase, then QUICKLY place the twig onto the strip of glue.
3. Continue placing the twigs around the vase until you have covered the entire thing! Your twigs do not have to be directly next to each other- I spaced mine out so that the candle light would shine through, giving the vase a cool, ethereal effect.
4. Make sure you press FIRMLY on your twigs when you place them to the vase. If you do not secure the twigs onto the vase when the hot glue is warm, the twigs will not be sturdy and may fall off after the few hours or days.
5. Finally, to take extra precautions, tie a piece of twine around your candle to secure your twigs in place.
If you would like to make this DIY extra “Christmassy”, spray paint your twigs silver, gold, red, or green before gluing them onto your vases! This process takes some time, so put on your favorite holiday tunes and jam out while gluing your twigs! The result is beautiful!!!